Saturday 28 November 2009

Monie Love


Date: Friday 27th November 2009
Found: Music and Goods Exchange, Notting Hill, London
Price: £2

Monie Love - Down To Earth (LP)

Cooltempo / Chrysalis Records, 1990

A.
1. Monie In The Middle
2. It's A Shame (My Sister)
3. Don't Funk Wid The Mo
4. Ring My Bell
5. R U Single
6. Just Don't Give A Damn
7. What I'm Supposed 2 B
8. Dettrimentally Stable

B.
1. Down 2 Earth
2. I Do As I Please
3. Pups Lickin' Bone
4. Read Between The Lines
5. Race Against Reality
6. Swiney Swiney
7. I'm Driving You Crazy
8. Grandpa's Party (Love II Love Remix)

I bought this Monie Love album because it features one of my all time favourites: Grandpa's Party. I was a bit sceptical about buying this LP at first, I was hoping the 12" might turn up but it never did and I wasn't even sure it was going to be the same version.
Luckily it was... and remixed by none other than Jazzie B and Nellee Cooper (are you noticing the trend yet???)

Anyway... this was Monie's first album and a great one at that, the highlights include Monie in The Middle, It's a Shame (My Sister), Down 2 Earth and of course Grandpa's Party. Watch the videos below...

Monie Love was born in London, she was a key figure in the Native Tongues Movement after being mentored by Queen Latifah.


(N.B not the love II love remix!)



2 comments:

  1. I like Grandpa's party alot, where can I get this remix, can only find the love II love version..... Leona xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a feeling the version in the video is either the original or the music mix. The love II love version is the only one on the album and it's all they have on itunes. Will try and find it for you! x

    ReplyDelete