Tuesday 21 December 2010

Seventh Heaven


Date: 17th December 2010
Found: MAPF Charity Shop, South Ealing, London
Price: 50p

Gwen Guthrie - Seventh Heaven 
4th & Broadway, 1982

1. Seventh Heaven (US Remix)

1. It Should Have Been You (US Remix)
2. Getting Hot (US Remix)

On Friday I braved the blizzard to go to some charity shops in South Ealing that my mum had told me about, apparently veritable treasure troves. She wasn't wrong. Once I got past a huge collection of Five Star records someone had finally give away, I found some real winners.

One of my best finds was this record by Gwen Guthrie, a firm favourite. I had never thought to look for a copy on discogs, and I'm glad I didn't because they're pretty rare, the promo sells for £125!! I'm pretty chuffed I got this for a mere 50p.

The drawn out intro builds up over 2 and a half minutes  until Guthrie's beautifully soulful vocals come in over a cosmic disco groove. This song is a masterpiece!

Seventh Heaven, remixed by Larry Levan of the Paradise Garage in New York, became a club anthem. Guthrie was known as "The First Lady of the Paradise Garage" and gave frequent live performances at the venue.

No comments:

Post a Comment